Ari Julianto says:


You may copy and share the contents in my blog, but please cite my blog address as your reference. I only accept the comments that relate to the postings in this blog. For private and personal issues, you may contact me at
mr.ari69@gmail.com

Teacher's Training or Teacher Training?

Teacher's Training or Teacher Training?
 
Written by Ari Julianto


Once when I analyzed the students' covers of skripsi, I got confused as some of them wrote the term for Fakultas Keguruan dan Ilmu Pendidikan (FKIP) in English in various versions. it was written as follows

- Teacher's Training and Education
- Teachers' Training and Education
- Teacher Training and Education and
- Teachers Training and Education


At first I ignored it but then no senior lecturer or teacher made a strict rule in writing the term of FKIP in English.  Then I tried to analyze it and here is my conclusion.

1. If we search in Google engine the term Teacher's Training is not available, neither is Teachers' Training,

2. But if we search the terms Teacher Training and Teachers Training, Google engine shows mostly for Teacher Training then followed by Teachers Training,

3. The meaning of Teacher's Training or Teachers' Training seems blurred since the possessive case in those terms does not explain that the teacher has a training but it tends to the meaning of training for teacher,

4. Teacher (singular) or Teachers (plural)? In this case, I prefer the use of Teacher in singular. The reason is we can find Lawyer training, Employee Training etc,

5. In education theory, training refers to acquisition of concrete skills for meeting specific goals in a real-life, applied situation. This often includes "closed skills," like typing or juggling, that have absolute ceiling on mastery or where the only way to improve the skill is to do it faster or while multi-tasking. For teachers, training might include how to maintain a grade book or calculate reading fluency scores.

6. In contrast, education focuses on more abstract knowledge and open-ended concepts, like the ability to design factory equipment or write poetry. Open skills rely on abstract understanding and have no absolute ceiling on performance. Examples from teaching include how to design an original lesson plan or promote critical thinking.

Based on the explanation above, I prefer in translating Fakultas Keguruan dan Ilmu Pendidikan (FKIP) as Faculty of Teacher Training and Education.

I hope today's posting will be useful for all of us. Amin.

3 komentar:

  1. on my campus a term like this has been determined to be written as "faculty of education and teachers training"...
    the reason behind that whether there'r more than one teacher are trained there, or something.. I don't know, I'm just a student, so I have to follow the rule...
    might be it is still OK to type teacher as singular, indirectly to represent it's plurality... one to represent many...

    and also on my opinion, faculty of education and teacher(s) training sounds better to be spoken in my tongue and ears catchy too, than faculty of teacher(s) training and education... and also it sounds more alphabetical before and after the conjunction, (Education and Teacher(s) Training / E and T T)... a little modification in translating is necessary I think to show the beauty of a sentence or phrase...
    ah, sorry sir, just my silly opinions.... :D

    BalasHapus
    Balasan
    1. Mr. Febri Yanto, thanks for your comment.
      You may express anything what you have considered as the principle judgement to everybody in every place including in my blog. I believe that the experts of languages in your faculty previously thought over and over in naming the faculty. And I believe too that the name "Faculty of education and Teachers Training" was the best choice after selecting and debating among them.
      Another interesting topic is the position between 'Education' and 'Teacher Training'. Which one should be put first?
      Basically, my opinion is simple, we have to stick to the source language, in this case Bahasa Indonesia. If in Indonesian it is written 'Fakulats Keguruan dan Ilmu Pendidikan' so we have to translate it in order which means 'Keguruan' (Teacher Training) first then followed by Pendidikan (Education).
      Anyway, you didn't express silly opinions. You did have great ones. Good luck!!!

      Hapus
    2. yeah, Its a matter of order after all, both literally constitute the same meaning... just like determining egg and chicken, which one coming in this world first, no one knows for sure... hha..
      Regards,.

      Hapus

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...